Wednesday 21 November 2012

My tip of the week!: Gift of the five senses

When I first met my husband and was just getting to know him, I found it hard to figure out what to buy him as a first birthday gift.  A thought came to mind that when I was in elementary school we sometimes gifted what we called "combo" gifts.  It was a box full of little items that had meaning instead of one or two bigger items.  So I thought I would get creative and do a gift of the five senses.  This involved me finding a relatively small gift that would represent each sense (sight, hearing, smell, taste, touch) which also had meaning for him and I.  This was almost seven years ago and unfortunately back then I didn't think of taking pictures of what I put together - I didn't think I would be blogging about it and sharing it with the world!

What I do remember are the items I gave him:
TOUCH - A soft scarf that I purchased from the Bay
TASTE - His favourite chocolates - Reese's Peanut Butter
SIGHT - A DVD of the first movie we saw together (Hitch with Will Smith!)
SMELL - Massage oil with the essence of vanilla (his favourite scent)
HEARING - A CD with a collection of all the songs we liked (back then I wasn't using an iPod!)

I placed the items in a nice box and had a note describing what each was, what sense it represented and what it meant to me or us.  The only thing I have left from the gift is the actual gift box I used, as it is being used to store cards received from friends.  Here it is...I had wrapped it with a nice royal blue ribbon:



I searched online to see if I can find anyone else that had the same or similar idea and I found this great post on The Dating Divas' site.  I love what Tara has done.  She really went all out by nicely tagging each item and I love the name she picked for her gift "I Love you with all of my senses".

Via The Dating Divas
  And her gifts were individually tagged as follows:

Via the Dating Divas
Great job Tara from The Dating Divas, the gifts look wonderful!

For all those men reading this blog, this would also be a great idea for your significant other...she will love you for being so thoughtful and creative.  Plus this gift idea can be adapted to suit any type of recipient.

No comments:

Post a Comment