Tuesday 23 April 2013

Keeping on top of pictures - a part-time and even sometimes a full-time job

For me, pictures are the most important memories one could keep.  If I could I would keep a hard drive of all the pictures I have in a safe at the bank, or maybe several banks to ensure that I will forever have a copy...ok, I know that is a bit extreme but seriously, I value these memories more than anything and hope that I am capturing enough for my children to look back on.  These days because of the digital world, we take more pictures than before.  More memories means more work.  I try to limit my picture taking to my camera, but it is not always handy so I do take many on my phone and so does my husband.  So basically, I have to manage and sort all of these.

My strategy, until I can come up with a better one, is to create a photo book for every special occasion, trip or every so many months.  I use Mixbook for all my photo books, mostly because of the variety of templates and how comfortable I have become using the software.

But certainly not all the photos can make it in the photo books so I had to come up with what I wanted to do with the rest of the pictures.  Although they are not the best pictures, they still are memories worth keeping.  With technology changing, I don't feel comfortable saving them on a USB key, or a CD.  Who knows whether these could be accessed in the future so in addition to saving them on a hard drive and on my computer I am going to print them and store them in boxes.

I found these today from the Container Store and I think I will order them.

Via The Container Store
Via The Container Store
Via The Container Store
I like both options but prefer the carrier because it has more inner cases and can easily be transported.  What is great is that the inner cases are acid-free and you can label each.  Each inner case holds approximately 100 4" x 6" photos.

How do you organize your pictures?  Any ideas you can share?

No comments:

Post a Comment